oh no!

Tonight, after a horrible day, I had a kitchen mishap. A big one. But still, I'm very lucky. I have a story to tell you.


The details of my bad day aren't important to this story, if only to add to the drama and perhaps make you feel a little sorry for me, my friends. The first part of my day involved the hospital, doctors, nurses, needles, and that sort of thing.

Later, I was back at home and feeling a little better so I decided to make a light supper. I was the only one in the house so I decided to cook some rice in our nice new-ish microwave. This was to be a very bad idea. Usually I cook rice on the stove but the allure of having a serving of brown rice in less than an hour was too great. I had one of those nifty microwave rice cookers and I'd never tried it, so tonight was the night. I read the directions. On the cooker and on the rice bag. The cooker said 25 minutes for brown rice and the rice bag said 30 minutes. Seemed like a good plan. Stir the rice after ten minutes with a fork. I did. I returned to the sofa and thought, "gee, that medicine I am taking really is making things smell and taste all burned today". (The last time I took sulfasalazine it perverted my senses, I volleyed between being unable to taste or smell anything at times and at other times everything tasted like burnt toast or had a strange metallic taste).

So you see, it was a good few minutes - until my eyes felt the sting of smoke - before I realized that I had a little fire going on in my microwave oven. When I entered the kitchen, I couldn't see anything for the smoke, but I grappled towards the sink and got the tap running. I threw a dish towel under the water and threw it over my face. Fanning the smoke, I saw the flames bursting out of the closed microwave! Somehow, I lunged forward and pressed the STOP button on the oven, and the flames extinguished.

Then I did something really silly. I opened the oven door to assess the damage - one melted, charred rice cooker, a burned hull of a stainless steel microwave oven, and tons more smoke billowing out towards me. I covered my face with the cloth and ran to open doors and windows.

Keep in mind, it is -20 degrees C, as in, twenty below zero, and it's a little chilly to throw all of your doors and windows open, especially when you've been sick all day. I managed to phone Veto and Buddy, who were on their way home from the hospital, bringing my car back from the parkade. They arrived back at the house as the smoke was wafting out the front door and the place smelled awful.

With the doors all open and everyone trying to open windows... the dog got out. He came in through the back door. With a wasp's nest. Yes. A frozen home of thousands of dangerous, flying insects, that can thaw very easily and bring all of its inhabitants out of dormancy. I realized that he had it and wrestled his new toy away from him and into a plastic ziploc bag.

Needless to say, I killed the microwave. It now sits in the backyard. There are smoke and flame marks on the wall near its shelf. We are so very lucky... another thirty seconds, and well, you know. Any tips on how to get rid of this smoky smell?

24 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Oh, Saucy, this is funny but not really. I am so glad that you are OK and that the fire wasn't more serious. Good grief, you can't catch a break these days.

The good news is that I think they sell microwave ovens in pink. When life gives you lemons...

Mrs. G. said...

Also, I need to ask you something, and I can't find an email on this site. Can you send me your email address?

mrs.ggggggggggggggg@gmail.com

scrappaleica said...

thank goodness you guys are alright!

michelleb. said...

I'm glad your safe and it wasn't worse. Thank God the wasp nest didn't thaw out. Looking at the pic of your microwave, I can smell past experiences with burnt popcorn.
Hope today is free of bad happenings.

Scrappy Jessi said...

omg!!!
is your gaurdian angel on vacation????
she needs to come asap!!!
just breathe my friend, there is always a reason why things happen.
it will come to you!
scary larry though. you are a brave one! and the wasp nest, geezz!!!! im allergic to bees. that would have sent me into shock!
hope today is much brighter!!!
jessi

MJ said...

Quick thinking on your part! Good thing the medicine didn't make you sleepy and/or dull your brain!

Time and cleaning will rid of the smell. Maybe Febreze?

It was so fortunate that your whole family was coming and able to assist.

Hope everything is in order soon and that you are feeling better son!

prettyinpink said...

Beeswax candles will help with the smell. Glad you are okay...

Pepper said...

Leave bowls full of white vinegar around the house. That will absorb the smell. I am doing that with the paint smell around here and it really works.
Also, don't cook any more rice in the microwave!
Yikes!

SOINSPIRED said...

Oh My Goodness! You absolutely have to have a wonderful day today after all of that.

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh my goodness!

One afternoon when Jack was a small baby I turned on the oven to start dinner. Jack was napping in his crib, and I went downstairs to fold laundry. Suddenly I heard the smoke alarm, but by the time I got back upstairs the kitchen was entire filled with black, acrid smoke. I had to get through the kitchen to get my baby out of his bed and out of the house. Complete and utter panic. Turns out I had for some reason put a plastic plate in the oven, which melted and caught on fire.

I had to open all the windows and doors (which you might have to do anyway and sit in the car with the heat on?). And scrub, scrub, scrub. Even our toilets had black soot on them and they are not near the kitchen.

If nothing works you might contact your fire dept. The fire dept here has these ionizer things they can come and turn on, and it gets rid of the smell.

Amy said...

Oh, good heavens! That IS a horrible day. Poor baby! I always figure after a day like that that I'm due a fabby day. So I'm sure you've got one coming. Thank goodness the damage was all curtailed and that you caught that hornet's nest in time.

Janet said...

Holy CRAP!!! I'm glad you're ok, the dog is ok, the wasps are dead and the fire is out!

Saucy said...

MJ: Febreze, yes, lots of Febreze.
Pepper: Vinegar? Then won't the inside of my house just smell like burning pickles?
Sarah: My God! It sounds like your ordeal was worse than mine. I haven't seen any soot.

My brother gave us his room ionizer to use, and guess what? It's a miracle machine. I may never give it back. Veto brought home ten of those charcoal odor absorber kits. They started turning from white to black within the hour, so they must work indeed.

Melissa said...

I'm going to second the vinegar suggestions--it may smell sour-ish for a wee bit, but the smell of vinegar doesn't linger like the acrid smell of smoke & scorch. Trust the gal on the vinegar suggestion. Tried and true.

In many ways, this is a hysterical story, but I still cringe and feel glad it didn't happen to me. You poor thing. When all you want to do is lie on your couch...

100 Percent Cottam said...

dadgum! that's one crazy day. i'm just glad things weren't worse! that's super scary.

Junie Moon said...

How horrible! The hospital, microwave fire, and the wasps--what a fright all the way around.

In reference to the hospital, I sincerely hope that everything is being resolved happily in terms of your health.

Tanis said...

Oh dear! You do have LIFE in general cut out for you! I'll tell you my story and then give you the solution. The ex made a last minute appointment with his Massage Therapist and ran out of the house, leaving eggs boiling on the stove. I got home several hours later to a house filled with smoke, eggs which had turned into projectiles and covered everything in a ten foot radius, and a dog cowering under a bed in the boys' room. I got a couple of five pound bags of charcoal, ripped them open longways and put them in the house and that took care of the smell. It took a little longer to get rid of the husband and the dog has long since died. At least you get a new, improved microwave!! Luv your cuz, tan

Kim - ScrapToMyLu said...

You poor thing! I'm so glad you found it before it really got going.

Thanks so much for stopping by Today's Creative Blog!

Jenn and Jacqui said...

Hi Saucy, OMG!! That's terrible, so glad you are ok. We never fully trust those ovens, we don't have one anymore since the last one was too expensive to repair! Take care:) Jenn and Jacqui

tamdoll said...

Sorry to read about your disaster. Try kitty litter to get out the smell. I don't have cats but have a bag in my garage for when I need some super order absorbing. It works. Put out a couple of disposable plates, fill them with the stuff and throw them out when they stink. Repeat. Good luck!

T=ME said...

Poor baby...you deserve something special. Please check out my blog? Hugs,Terri

Gypsy Mermaid said...

WOW! I hope your okay and your house is okay too! That is sooo scary! I had that happen to me once but it didnt get that bad! I hate cooking rice.. to bad it doesnt come already cooked that would be a smart thing to do! haha Glad it didnt get to out of hand and you noticed it before it was too late!

Toodles-
Sarah

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Honestly? I'm more afraid of the wasps nest than the fire. I once caught my microwave on fire while warming up some leftover quiche using a paper plate with metallic embellishment. Luckily my oldest son, 3 then, said "look mommy, fire".

Tamara Jansen said...

Oh my! I did this once with some bottles I was trying to sterilize.....the reference to the wet towel on the face brought all the memories back in a flash......smoke.....blackness.....terror! I thought I'd burnt the house down and caused my newborn permanent lung damage from the toxic smoke.

All ended well and Junior has gone on to live a long and healthy life. I never sterilized bottles again :)