It's a little hard to tell from this photo, but the pergola makes a huge impact on the backyard-scape. Now that the house has been painted, it was time to put it up. Ben, my dad and my brother spent most of the day on Sunday bolting it into the ground - now I really can't change my mind about where I want it! It's a little hard to visualize right now, but here's my plan to complete the makeover:
1. I have fibreglass window boxes the same colour as the pergola for the lower windows. Hope to get them attached this weekend and maybe even planted.
2. I'm ordering new shaker-style shutters for the upper windows when I get replacement shutters for the front windows. I think that it will fill the space above the pergola and the upper windows won't look so naked.
3. New outdoor light fixtures... maybe this style.
4. New garden doors opening out on that hideous blue "deck", which by the way has to go, to be replaced with some functional dark-brown wooden deck and some sort of surround for Ben's barbeque.
5. We need a new fence on that side of the yard for sure... a nice TALL brown fence, or maybe the colour of the house? Anyway, did I mention TALL?
6. I have oodles of white twinkle lights for the maple tree and about five packs of globe string lights for the pergola.
7. This is the outdoor furniture I desire oh-so-badly... but it's on sale for a fraction of the price here.
8. Can I grow vines on that pergola? What kind of vines would grow well... one of the legs is very near the flower bed... I can plant a perennial this year and see what it does.
9. Even with a tall, brown fence, that house next door is a bit of an eyesore. Our neighbours might be moving in the fall, so here's hoping the new owners opt to paint next spring. I'd miss our nice neighbours, but I don't think I'd miss that pink. Plus, this spring they cut down a whole row of trees on their property line, so now we really, really see it.
Any other suggestions?? I am so open for suggestions.