I'm psyched to be in the What's Cookin' Apron Swap! It's hosted by Sarah and Mary. Here's the deal: everyone in the swap has a secret partner, and we visit their blog, leave comments and learn about them. By the end of November, we send off a holiday-themed apron we're sure that they'll love based on what we've learned about them. Posting answers to this meme is the first step:
1. What kind of holiday party food do you like best? finger food buffet or sit down multi-course style? Finger food, of course. So much easier for mingling and visiting and so much more fun to make.
2. Do you make/use those little name cards for your table seating or is that just another little something that magazines are trying to add to our already long holiday to-do list? I don't think I've ever made seating cards, not even for my wedding! Let them sit where they want to sit.
3. Do you miss sitting at the "kid's table"? We never had the "kid's table." My mother expected us to sit up and converse and take part with the entire family.
4. Any particular holiday party traditions that you like to do every year? We "hide the pickle ornament" somewhere on the gigantic tree and the children search for it. There is a special gift for the pickle finder! When the family is opening presents, one of the children gets to hand them out while wearing the Santa hat.
5. Which is your favorite winter holiday? Hanukkah and Christmas combined! Dare I say it... Christmukkah?
6. Do you make or have you tasted any good egg nog recipes...whether using it in a dish or as a drink? If I say so myself, I make an amazing eggnog cheesecake with a gingerbread cookie base. Amazing.
7. Fruit cake .... do you love it or think it should be used as a door stop? This is a fruitcake-free zone, except for my Crazy Aunt Mildred.
8. What do you like to do to get yourself in the holiday sprit (ie. certain music, visiting certain seasonal sites, enjoying winter weather, etc.) Shopping, decorating, listening to Frank Sinatra's Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, crafting, wrapping - except for the year I wrapped in October and forgot to put name tags on, thinking I would surely remember which package was which... what was I thinking? I take wrapping very seriously.
9. What is your favorite holiday song and who sings it best? It's between "The Christmas Waltz" by Frank Sinatra and "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano... there are so many to choose from. Also a fave: "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt.
10. Any ideas for interesting holiday themed parties? (Even if it's really out there -- like renting a snow machine and having everyone build snowmen if you live in a no-snow areas!) Hmmm.... that's a good one. We have an annual "pre-Christmas" early on... sometimes November, or as soon as the trees are up. Complete with popcorn balls, gifts, the whole bit! It's for those of us who can't wait.